- One of the most versatile sources of energy in the nation.
- Supplies 4% of total energy needs.
- Exists as both a liquid and a gas.
- Can be dangerous and must be used with caution.
- Generally has a smell like rotten eggs, sewer gas, or a dead mouse.
If you smell gas:
- Immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames.
- Shut off the gas. To close valve on propane tank, turn it to the right (clockwise) see video.
- Leave the area immediately.
- Report the leak right away by calling 217-774-2311 or your local fire department from a safe distance.
- Do not return to the building or area until deemed safe by a technician.
- Get your system checked by a professional to ensure it is leak-free before using any propane appliance.
PORTABLE PROPANE CYLINDERS
Transport & Storage:
- Use only DOT-approved cylinders that are in good condition.
- As the temperature changes, propane can expand and contract; cylinders should only be filled to 80% capacity.
- When transporting a cylinder, make sure it is secured upright.
- Never use a cylinder without a regulator.
- Before lighting an appliance, check all connections for tightness. Never use matches or a lighter to check for leaks.
- Turn off all valves on the cylinder when not in use.
- Do not store cylinders indoors or in a vehicle.
What you need to know:
- Can be fatal.
- Caused by improperly vented or un-maintained appliances.
- Carbon monoxide detectors are recommended; they will alert you when carbon monoxide is present.
- Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include: eye irritation, headaches, dizziness, sleepiness, or moisture buildup on windows.
- Think there is carbon monoxide present? Open doors and windows for ventilation and immediately call a qualified technician for help.
Want to know more? Visit the National Propane Gas Association’s website at www.npga.org.
CONTACT INFO FOR SHELBY ENERGY COMPANY
Address: P.O. Box 527 | 1355 State Hwy 128 | Shelbyville, Illinois 62565
Email: Click Here
Hours: Monday - Friday | 7:00AM to 4:00PM
After Hours Phone: 217-774-2311